There was a time when a yacht of 50m was considered to be a large yacht. But times, they are a changing… In 2015, a yacht needs to be well in excess of 120m to even get into the Top 10!
Here’s a countdown of the current Top 10 largest yachts in the world:
10. AL SALAMAH – 139.29m (457ft) AL SALAMAH was delivered to her owners in 1999. The project was started by HDW in Kiel, Germany and the yacht was finished at the Lurssen shipyard in Bremen, Germany. AL SALAMAH was known as “Project MIPOS” during the yacht’s construction, standing for mission possible! At the time of her delivery, she was the 3rd largest yacht in the world but has rapidly slipped down the rankings every year since which is a sign of how larger and larger yachts are being built. The yacht has a capacity of 36 guests plus crew. Very little is known about the yacht other than that she was built for the Saudi Arabian Royal Family. The fact that this superyacht now flies the flag of Bahrain may be a clue as to who the current owners are. AL SALAMAH is often to be found along with many other larger superyachts in the port of Piraeus, Greece.
9. OCEAN VICTORY – 140m (459ft) OCEAN VICTORY is a 140m motor yacht built by the Fincantieri shipyard of Italy and delivered to her owner in 2014. The yacht’s exterior lines are the work of Espen Oeino with interiors by Alberto Pinto. The yacht is believed to have no less than 6 swimming pools and a top speed of 19.6 knots. The construction and delivery of this superyacht was highly secretive and very little is known of the yacht or her ownership. This is the yacht that knocked David Geffen’s RISING SUN out of the top 10 largest yachts.
8. YAS – 141m (463ft) This unusual yacht was built at the ADM shipyard in Abu Dhabi, UAE. YAS was constructed on the hull of 1970s Dutch Navy frigate that was purchased by the Abu Dhabi Navy. It is believed that a second very similar superyacht project is underway, also based on the hull of a naval frigate.
7. EL HORRIYA – 145.7m (478ft) EL HORRIYA is the Presidential yacht of Egypt. The yacht was built in the UK in 1865 and was present at the opening of the Suez Canal four years later. The yacht lives in Alexandria, where she is looked after by the Egyptian Navy.
6. PRINCE ABDULAZIZ – 147m (482ft) PRINCE ABDULAZIZ was built in Denmark in 1984 as the Royal Yacht of the late King Fahd of Saudi Arabia. The yacht’s home port is Jeddah but during summer months, she can sometimes be seen in the Mediterranean, often in Cannes, France and in Marbella, Spain. Despite constant refits, the yacht is showing her age and a replacement modern superyacht is likely on the way.
5. TOPAZ – 147.25m (483ft) TOPAZ is the third largest yacht ever delivered by the Lurssen shipyard of Germany. Amazingly, Lurssen were involved in the construction of no less than six of the top 10 largest yachts! The yacht was delivered in 2012 and her owner is believed to be from the UAE.
4. AL SAID – 155m (508ft) AL SAID is the yacht of the Sultan of Oman. This superyacht is believed to have a top speed of around 25 knots. The yacht is said to accommodate 65 guests, looked after by a crew of 150. The yacht features a concert hall that it is said can accommodate a 50-piece orchestra!
3. DUBAI – 162m (531ft) DUBAI is the Royal Yacht of Dubai and belongs to His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum. The yacht was purchased by the Dubai Government as a unfinished project having initially been commissioned by Prince Jefri of Brunei before the project was abandoned in 1998. The yacht was eventually launched by Platinum Yachts in 2006 and is based unsurprisingly in Dubai.
2. ECLIPSE – 162.5m (533ft) Until recently, ECLIPSE was the largest yacht in the world. This immense superyacht was delivered to her Russian owner in late 2010 by the Blohm + Voss shipyard of Germany after a five year construction period. ECLIPSE features a 16m swimming pool, the largest ever installed on a yacht. The yacht also accommodates three helicopters! This yacht is thankfully used by her owner a great deal and is seen in locations all over the world.
1. AZZAM – 180m (590ft) Current holder of the title of the largest yacht in the world. AZZAM was like many on this list, built by the Lurssen shipyard in Germany. The project was a highly secretive one and very little is known about AZZAM other than that the yacht is believed to be capable of an astonishing 31+ knots due to her groundbreaking water-jet systems!