With the summer season approaching, it’s time to start planning a luxury yacht charter in the Mediterranean. The Mediterranean has long been an exclusive superyacht destination, offering spectacular cruising grounds and some of the world’s most elegant ports of call. Whether you fancy exploring hotspots in the Western Mediterranean or under-the-radar destinations in the Eastern Mediterranean, you are guaranteed to enjoy an incredible vacation on the water. In our Mediterranean yacht charter guide, we answer some of the most common questions travelers have before embarking on a luxury yacht holiday in the Med.
What are some of the best cruising destinations in the Mediterranean?
The Mediterranean boasts a wonderful range of cruising destinations, typically split into the West and Eastern Mediterranean.
Refined West Mediterranean yacht charter destinations include The Amalfi Coast, the French Rivieria, Corsica & Sardinia, and the Balearic Islands.
- The Amalfi Coast – rub shoulders with VIPs and A-list celebrities along the Amalfi coast. Drop anchor in Amalfi, Capri, Sorrento, Ischia, and Naples and explore picturesque villages filled with fascinating culture and history.
- The French Riviera – this is considered one of the most elegant yacht charter vacation destinations in the Western Mediterranean. The most refined ports of call along the French Riviera include Monaco, St Tropez, and Cannes, boasting exclusive beach clubs, lavish resorts, designer boutiques, and award-winning Michelin restaurants.
- Corsica & Sardinia – cruise the azure-blue waters of these two French and Italian Islands and discover stunning natural beauty and refined attractions.
- The Balearic Islands – these Spanish islands are popular with sun seekers and party lovers alike. The main island includes Mallorca, Menorca, Ibiza, and Formentera, making it a great spot for an island-hopping adventure. Party at the most exclusive clubs in Ibiza or soak up the sun on white sand beaches in Menorca. This elegant Mediterranean destination offers it all!
The East Mediterranean includes Greece, Croatia & Montenegro, and Turkey.
- Greece – the Greek islands make for a fantastic island-hopping adventure aboard a luxury motor yacht or sailing boat. The islands of Santorini, Corfu, Crete, and Zakynthos are perennial favorites, but with more than 6,000 islands and islets to explore scattered across the Mediterranean Sea, you’ll be spoilt for choice during your Mediterranean yacht charter vacation.
- Croatia & Montenegro – these two incredible destinations are becoming a popular alternative to more traditional ports of call and for a good reason too. Enjoy crystal clear waters, picturesque coastlines, towns and cities rich in culture and history, and fantastic national parks offering a wealth of outdoor activities.
- Turkey – offering a fascinating fusion of East and West, Turkey is one of the Med’s most exotic destinations. Explore bustling bazaars, fascinating shipwrecks below the waves, and wonderful white sandy beaches.
How much does it cost to charter a yacht in the Mediterranean?
The cost of a luxury charter yacht in the Mediterranean will depend on the size of the boat, the boat builder, the yacht’s onboard amenities, itinerary, and various other factors. Expect to pay at least US$50,000 per week and over US$500,000 for the world’s most luxurious superyachts. In addition to the base charter rate, additional fees will apply, including the Advanced Provisioning Allowance and VAT, which will be dependent on your destination.
How long is the yachting season in the Mediterranean?
The yacht season in the Mediterranean is typically centered around the summer months, during June, July, and August. Spring and Fall are also popular times to charter a crewed yacht in the Mediterranean when the weather is still wonderfully warm, yet popular ports of call are less busy.
What is included in a luxury yacht charter in the Mediterranean?
A luxury yacht charter includes a wide range of amenities and services depending on the vessel, with every yacht holiday tailored to meet your needs.
- Crew – A luxury yacht rental will come with a highly professional crew who will work to ensure you enjoy an incredible charter vacation. The number of crew will depend on the size of the vessel; however, as a minimum, you can expect a captain, deckhands and stews or stewardesses, and a chef. The world’s finest superyachts for charter will boast a crew of more than 20, including a sommelier, a team of world-class chefs, spa therapists, personal trainers, and dive masters.
- On-board amenities – On a luxury yacht charter, you can enjoy all the yacht’s onboard amenities. These will differ depending on the size of the vessel. Almost all luxury yacht charters will boast spacious decks and salons for entertaining and relaxing, state-of-the-art audio equipment, and a selection of water toys, such as kayaks, Jet Skis, snorkeling gear, paddleboards, and inflatables. Superyachts will likely include a voluminous beach club, swimming pools, hot tubs, spa facilities offering luxury treatments, a cinema room, and a fully equipped gym.
- Food & Drink – Enjoy delicious cuisine and beverages to your exact liking on your luxury yacht hire in the Mediterranean. Your yacht chef will be available to prepare all meals whenever you fancy them. All food and beverage are covered in the Advanced Provisioning Allowance. Of course, you can choose to dine on land, and your yacht broker will be able to secure table reservations in the Mediterranean’s most acclaimed restaurants.
- Exclusions – Part of the fun of a yacht charter in the Mediterranean is the opportunity to explore some of the region’s best sites and attractions. Your yacht broker will be able to arrange private tours and advise on the best places to visit.
How can I book a crewed luxury yacht charter in the Mediterranean?
To book a crewed yacht charter in the Mediterranean, you should work with an experienced yacht broker. Leading yacht brokerages have access to the best yachts and can tailor itineraries to meet your precise needs.